Take a self-guided Mural Walk at Jack London Square
Take a self-guided walking tour to view a bevy of thought-provoking murals that were painted for the 2018 Oakland Mural Festival. This festival features primarily local artists. The first was in Berkeley, the second in Richmond, and the third in Oakland--the first one that was supported and for which artists get a stipend. Though the festival is over, the murals remain, so as you wander the streets immediately adjacent to the square keep a look out for these outstanding examples. Map.
I was fortunate to experience a mural tour during the festival led by local Jena Dominique (her mom was a Raiderette), who introduced us to many of the artists that were applying finishing touches. She leads several other Oakland tours via her Street Salad enterprise and integrates post cards into the fun.
1. Lower Bottoms Collective. Painted by four Oakland-based artists who have been creating murals together for 5 years. The painting is on a PG&E building.
|mural by Lower Bottoms Collective at Jack London Square in Oakland, California|
2. Mike Bam Tyau & Jesse Rodriguez. Recently Mike has been including his Hawaiian ancestors in his work.
|mural by Mike Bam Tyau and Jesse Rodriguez at Jack London Square in Oakland, California|
3. Alise & Jack Eastgate. Their work draws on the lush landscapes of Jack’s native Fiji. The painting on a PG&E building.
|Alise and Jack Eastgate work on their whale mural at Jack London Square in Oakland, California|
4. Caleb Duarte. He has created public works around the world.
|mural by Caleb Duarte at Jack London Square in Oakland, California|
5. Trust Your Struggle Collective. This group has produced more than 100 murals since 2003.
|Jena Dominique describes mural by Trust Your Struggle Collective at Jack London Square in Oakland, California|
6. Los Pobres Artistas. The artists in this group have Chilean ancestry.
|mural by Los Pobres Artistas at Jack London Square in Oakland, California|
|mural plans by Los Pobres Artistas at Jack London Square in Oakland, California|
7. Dave Young Kim & Erik T. Burke. Don’t miss their giant rooster.
|rooster mural by Dave Young Kim and Erik T. Burke at Jack London Square in Oakland, California|
8. David Burke. He hs written a love letter to Oakland.
More things to do in Oakland.
Way more things to do in Oakland.
More ideas for exploring Northern California.
images ©2018 Carole Terwilliger Meyers